Friday 27 December 2013

A Trip To The Met

I've just come back from a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Manhattan. In my quest to avoid the thronging crowds I headed to the less popular Asian section and was straightaway reminded how much I love calligraphy and especially paintings that combine image and text.

Travelling around I started thinking about the microcosmos - the approaches to combining 'organic' and found materials into spaces - works that were not purely artistic or decorative but that frequently held significant meaning, whether in symbolism or text, I enjoyed the mystery of knowing that many of these articles and artefacts had many more secrets to reveal.

So, while it may turn out to be irrelevant, here are a few images from my trip:

I like the way this extraordinary rock seems to have been deified by placing it within a shrine

This reminded me of Megan's approach - this is the inside of a cardboard box, transformed into a piece of art

Here's another, mountains reflecting on water

I like the image that seems to pull the eye in and its combination with calligraphy at either side

Hard to do justice to this with a pic, I think it's called 'The Book From The Sky' - you are totally surrounded by text as you pass through the room, the overhead drapes are especially beautiful

Ceiling as sacred space

A simple idea (?) this evanescent buddha is completely captivating, it seems a great mixture of medium and message

Again, this seemed like a life-size of something Megan might have done (I may be being naive).

A thangka painting (buddhist religious paintings mostly from Tibet and Nepal) just like their other religious counterparts, they are full of symbolism, mostly intended for teaching

Here's that macrami buddha again

No comments:

Post a Comment