Thursday 28 November 2013

Flying To Valencia

I'm itching to write a reply to Megan's last post - I'll hope to do it tomorrow, Before I do I just wanted to post up my thoughts as I arrived here in Valencia yesterday - half asleep at the end of the flight.

I started imagining the final ten or so minutes - I imagined, arising from all sorts of disparate sound-worlds, spread across the space, a unified sound, what I jotted down as a turangalilla - a joyous, painful, dance of life - the only sound that I think would do that would be the human voice - I have no idea whether a text or something wordless, a feeling that, as we've journeyed through the internal weathers of the microcosmos we've finally arrived at something that somehow transcends it.

Of course, it's just an idea, but I think it would be interesting to investigate - as a vague pointer, here's some early music: William Byrd - Byrd's motets are some of my most treasured sounds to listen to - in this recording there are only 3 voices - I love the fact that 3 people, simply standing side by side, can make this sound. I'm not imagining the final sounds of the microcosmos being this exactly, but something of it's nature is very appealing to me:

https://soundcloud.com/cantumbarbum/william-byrd-o-gloriosa-domina

No comments:

Post a Comment