Tuesday 19 November 2013

Microcosmos -The Beginnings


Microcosmos is the collaborative space for Pete M Wyer and Megan Gallant - developing a work that began at Blue Mountain Centre in October of 2013.

For me, the process began when I was inspired by Megan's sculptures - they seemed like miniature worlds, each complete in their own right but belonging to a larger 'body' - they seemed to have a natural relationship to one another.

It got me thinking and I wondered whether a space might exist where you could enter that universe.

Being a composer I liked the idea of creating the 'sound universe' that you entered into. What was really encouraging for me was sitting with Megan with several of her pieces and seeing what emerged as I played sounds then and there - instead of what I might have expected, in dialogue, 'Canyon' and 'Spoon Tree' were created - looking at the little sculptures with the sound of a howling wind seemed, for me, to effectively combine the sense of epic with the miniature - it had the desired effect of messing with the sense of scale.

Here's "Canyon":
https://soundcloud.com/pete-m-wyer/canyon

And here's "Spoon Tree":
https://soundcloud.com/pete-m-wyer/spoon-tree


Moss in the woods at Blue Mountain


No comments:

Post a Comment